Today, let’s see how we can use an off-the-shelf mix to create a restaurant like dessert at home. When we don’t have time or simply don’t have all the ingredients handy to make a homemade crème brûlée, Dr. Oetker Classic Crème Brûlée is an excellent choice. A homemade crème brûlée is ready to serve in about 5 hours whereas the Dr. Oetker Classic Crème Brûlée is prepared in less than 1 minute and ready to eat in one hour so it is a convenient, and delicious, alternative. Perhaps, your “little chefs” may decide to join you in the kitchen for a weekend cooking activity. They’ll love to see what they could make if they became a chef in a French restaurant. And consider this, at 110 calories per serving, it is a very reasonable treat.
So let’s get started.
What you will need:
- Dr. Oetker Classic Crème Brûlée Premium Dessert Mix
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 4 ramekins (or small oven safe dishes)
- Strawberries, raspberries or blueberries (optional)
- In a saucepan, mix milk and whipping cream over medium heat.
- Whisk crème brûlée powder mix.
- Bring to a gentle boil while stirring.
- Lower heat to simmer for 30 sec.
- Place ramekins on cookie sheet and pour mixture into the ramekins.
- After 1 hour (a thin skin should have formed on top), sprinkle with the caramelized sugar provided.
- Place cookie sheet with the ramekins in the oven and broil for 3-4 min until the sugar on top has browned (may be less depending on your oven).
- With oven mittens, take ramekins and place on a small desert plate before serving.
Art of the Home suggestion: to add color to this dessert, simply add a few blueberries and raspberries (or cut strawberries) on a small area on top of the crème brûlée.
Enjoy and bon appétit!!!