Today, we’re offering an appetizing summer dessert: a fruit salad melon bowl (salade de fruits au melon). This fruit salad is full of vitamins and so refreshing! It can be served after a light main course for lunch on the patio or as a guilt free dessert after a heavier dinner — it will also help you digest! Check the easy Art of the Home recipe and Art of the Home suggestions below for a delicious and beautiful “salade de fruits”. Enjoy and bon appétit!
Salade de Fruits au Melon (Fruit Salad Melon Bowl)
INGREDIENTS (2 servings)
- 1 nicely ripe cantaloupe (melon). Our favorite are the Charentais melons but they are hard to find in the US. We did try a few years ago to grow our own Charentais melons in the US but sadly without any big success. We have had better success growing them in France.
- Fresh seasonal fruits. You can use any combination of raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries – enough to fill up your 2 melon bowls.
- Optional: 2-4 TBSP of sugar
- Cut melon in half and scoop out seeds.
- With a melon baller, scoop out melon flesh and place melon balls in a mixing bowl. Save the melon rinds (the melon outer shell) to be used later as your serving bowls.
- Add about a dozen raspberries, blueberries, a half a dozen of sliced strawberries to the melon balls.
- Toss gently – not too much so the fruits don’t get bruised. You can sprinkle with sugar but this is optional. When the fruits are ripe (especially at the heart of summer), this is delicious as is.
- Fill up each half melon rind with fruit salad and serve on an individual dessert plate with a dessert fork.
A FEW SUGGESTIONS
- Fruits suggestions: you can include whatever fruits you want or have on hands and make your own creation – so much fun!
- Melon baller: if you don’t have a melon baller, you can make melon cubes instead.
- Nuts: for some added crunch, you can add some sliced almonds or some walnuts.
- Decoration: place a branch of mint on top of your melon bowl, so pretty!