Today, we are offering a beauty tip on how to repair a pantyhose with a hole or a run. Although French women stop wearing pantyhose as soon as it gets warm enough to go bear skin, this is a “truc” (tip) that is used all the time in fall and winter months to remedy a pantyhose emergency situation — I’ve been there too many times! Whether your pantyhose got caught on something by accident or you simply started a lovely morning by getting your ring caught into your pantyhose — there is hope! We’ll also be talking about how to limit the damage of a run until you are able to get a new pair of pantyhose. Check out our Art of the Home tip below for the easy steps.
Art of the Home Tip: to stop a pantyhose hole to become a bigger problem or fix a run so you can salvage your pantyhose, simply do the following:
- What you will need: clear nail polish. Sure you can use any color but even if the run or hole is in an area that is not visible, clear nail polish is the most discrete. In fact, I always bring a small bottle of clear nail polish when I go out wearing pantyhose. It takes virtually no space in a purse and it is a lifesaver.
- Fixing a pantyhose hole: this is the easiest one to fix. Apply nail polish all around the edges of the hole (about 1/4 inch), this will prevent a run from developing.
- Fixing a pantyhose run: with the nail polish brush, apply a small amount of nail polish on both ends of the run to seal it off. I also like to put nail polish on the run itself and the edges of the run. It will seal it off more effectively and ensure that other runs don’t branch out.
- Pantyhose On or Off?: with a smaller hole or run, you can fix it on the spot without removing your pantyhose. When doing the repair with your pantyhose on, make sure you lift the pantyhose away from your skin to avoid putting polish on your skin. You should hold it just a little bit away from your leg until it dries completely. For larger runs and holes however, we recommend taking off the pantyhose. You will be able to apply the nail polish with more precision and it will dry more easily. Further, it will be easier to avoid putting nail polish on your skin.
- Drying: make sure you wait a few minutes before you start moving (which will stretch the hole or run) to allow the nail polish to dry. The nail polish needs to get hard to become an effective patch.