Today we are sharing a French dessert recipe from one of the Art of the Home recipe journals: Gâteau au Yaourt (Yogurt Cake). Our cahiers de cuisine (recipe journals) are a compilation of family handwritten recipes. These recipes span 4 generations of French women — some recipes date back to the early 1900’s! We are happy to share some of them with you and we hope you’ll enjoy them with your loved ones as well. We transcribed the original recipe and translated it. The recipe we picked for this week-end is an easy French dessert – no scale needed! A yogurt cake is a classic in many French household (often the first cake one learns to bake). And this cake as you can tell from the name is made with yogurt, so good for you! Now what other cake can you eat and say “this is part of my diet plan“? This may be a stretch but it beats a cake made with butter! You can make your yogurt cake using any shape baking pan really but we prefer to use a savarin mold so we can add a lovely ramekin inside the ring filled with either jelly, Nutella, or fruit cocktail. Enjoy and bon appétit!
Art of the Home Recipe Journal – Art of the Home Cahier de Cuisine
Art of the Home Cahier de Cuisine
- Preparation: 20 minutes
- Cuisson: 30 minutes
1 pot de yaourt nature (le pot sert de mesure)-2 pots de sucre-3 pots de farine-2 oeufs-3/4 pot d’huile-1 sachet de levure-1 cuillère à soupe de rhum
- Mélanger tous les ingredients pour obtenir une pâte souple.
- Verser la pâte dans un moule a savarin bien beurré (avec ce moule, on obtient une belle couronne de gâteau).
- Mettre au four préchauffé a 180°C pendant 30 mn, vérifier la cuisson avec la pointe d’un couteau.
le petit +: mettre des pommes coupées en petits morceaux dans la pâte.
Art of the Home Recipe Journal
- Prep. time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1 plain yogurt (we use Chobani 1 serving size greek plain yogurt)- Using the empty yogurt jar, measure to the top: 2 jars of sugar-3 jars of flour-3/4 jar of vegetable oil-2 eggs- 1 pack of baking powder (about 11-14 g depending on the pack you use)-1 Tbsp of rum (using a soup spoon to measure is fine)
- Mix in all the ingredients (egg, sugar, oil, flour, baking powder, then rum) until you obtain a nice soft and supple dough.
- Pour the cake dough inside a well buttered savarin mold (with this mold, you’ll get a beautiful cake crown)
- Bake in pre-heated 350 °F, check it is ready by inserting the tip of a knife.
The little plus: mix apples cut in small dices in the dough