There are many ways to make your table inviting. So far, we’ve learn the “flower napkin fold (lotus napkin fold)” and the “crown napkin fold“. Today we are reviewing another napkin folding technique: the fan napkin fold (pliage de serviette éventail). The fan napkin folding technique is simple and adds a chic touch to any table setting. As with all of Art of the Home napkin folding techniques, you can use them for special occasions but also just for simple weekend meals – indoor or outdoor!
To fold a napkin into a fan, you can use either square or rectangular napkins. If you are using cloth napkins (preferable), it should have been ironed ahead of time to give it a neat look. So let’s get started:
Art of the Home Napkin Folding Steps for a Fan Napkin Fold:
- Fold napkin in half – right side over to the left.
- Fold napkin with accordeon pleats (about 1.5 inches or so). Leave about 3 inches unfolded (this will be the stand and hold the fan) and make sure to smooth down the pleats after each fold.
- Turn napkin over and rotate it by 1/4 turn.
- Fold napkin in half but keep the pleats on the oustide (pleats will be to your left).
- Fold right side down and tuck in.
- Open the fan making sure you hold the tail down – And voilà!