How about a soothing and warm leek soup for dinner? Our “soupe du jour” recipe is a low fat leek and potato soup recipe (soupe de poireaux-pommes de terre). Perfect to serve as a low calorie meal starter or a light dinner with baguette, Art of the Home low fat leek and potato soup recipe is loaded with the nutritious goodness of leeks. We typically don’t recommend taking seconds but with this leek soup, be my guest! And consider this, enjoying a soup before your main course can help you eat slow and therefore helps you not overeat. This low fat leek and potato soup recipe is easy to make and can conveniently be made ahead of time — always a plus for weeknights.
All you need to try this heartwarming low fat leek and potato soup recipe are two ingredients. So let’s add some leeks and potatoes to your market basket and fill your kitchen with the fresh aroma of vegetable soups, so typical of a French kitchen in the winter. Check our detailed low fat leek and potato soup recipe and Art of the Home suggestions below. Enjoy and bon appétit!
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings)
- 2 good size leeks (3 for thinner ones)
- 3 medium size potatoes (type russet or yukon gold)
- 4 cups of chicken broth (homemade chicken broth, store bought chicken broth, 4 cups of water with 1 tsp of chicken base, or 4 cups of water with 1 bouillon cube)
- 2-4 cups of water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut in small chunks. To prevent darkening, set aside in a bowl of water while you are cleaning up your leeks.
- Wash leeks. First remove the end, and cut in half lengthwise. Separate leek leaves and wash in water. We recommend soaking the leeks in a large bowl of cold water for a few minutes (the bowl of you salad spinner for example). Gently rub the leeks and let the sandy type grit settle to the bottom. Remove leeks, empty and rinse water bowl. Repeat as needed, typically twice, with clean cold water. Dry, bundle together and cut in 1-2 inch strips.
- Place leeks and potatoes in a large pot. Pour in chicken broth and add enough water to cover the vegetables (about 0.5-1 liters/2-4 cups) — you will have about 6-8 cups (1.5 to 2 liters) of liquid.
- Bring to a boil and lower heat. Simmer 3/4 covered for 30 to 45 minutes (your veggies should be very soft and tender).
- Remove from heat and start pureeing your soup using an immersion blender until smooth. Leeks can be fibrous, especially winter leeks, so an extra step that is worth your time (although not required) when making this low fat leek and potato soup recipe is to run your pureed soup through a food mill (we use the small disc of our food mill). The resulting texture of the leek soup is heavenly – like velvet going down your throat!
- Add salt & pepper to taste. Enjoy!
A FEW SUGGESTIONS
- Low fat leek and potato soup recipe variation: add 1/2 cup of plain yogurt for a creamy texture and in addition it’s good for your bones.
- Texture: if you like a thicker soup, you can add one potato or reduce the water quantity.
- Decorate your soup bowl with a sprig of dill and a few ultra-thin strips of leeks.