Today, we’re offering a healthy way to make French fries and give it a South of France twist with some herbes de Provence. Enjoying some good French fries once in while is a treat and it tastes so much more delicious when you actually make them yourself. This recipe uses olive oil, low in saturated fat, making Art of the Home Herbes de Provence Homemade French Fries a great side dish, even if you follow a low cholesterol diet plan. Check our detailed Art of the Home recipe and Art of the Home suggestions below.
Herbes de Provence Homemade French Fries (Pommes Frites Maison aux Herbes de Provence)
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings)
- 3 lb of russet Potatoes (about 6 potatoes)
- 2 TBSP flour
- 2 tsp of herbes de provence
- 3 TBSP olive Oil
- 2 pinches of Salt
- 1 pinch of pepper (or 1 turn of pepper mill)
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Clean and peel potatoes. Slice them thick – about the size of steak fries. Dry them again thoroughly with a clean lint free dish cloth (or paper towel).
- In a mixing bowl, toss French fries, olive oil, flour, and salt&pepper to coat them (you can also mix them inside a closed Ziplog — works too and very convenient). Add olive oil if needed to make sure all French fries are coated.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper before placing French fries on it (one single layer). Sprinkle with herbes de Provence.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes on one side. Flip all French fries over and bake another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add salt according to taste.
A FEW SUGGESTIONS
- Make it French Bistro night at home: on the menu, “steak frites” with your favorite Cabernet Sauvignon (or a red Bordeaux wine) for the grown ups (les grands) and “steak haché frites” (hamburger patty & French fries) for the children (les enfants) with a bottle of Evian. Delicious with a green salad. And why not ice cream for dessert – that would be a treat! Bon appetit à tous!
- Gift of French Fries: if you have a friend or family member that had to give up French fries due to cholesterol concerns – the sacrifice is over! Invite them to a Herbes de Provence Homemade French Fries dégustation (tasting). Art of the Home Homemade French Fries contains only 1 gram of saturated fat per serving (bad fat) and a high level of monounsaturated fat (good fat) so they are suitable for a low-cholesterol diet – in moderation of course!