Today we are sharing a daily routine used frequently in France – the daily ritual of opening windows. And now that the weather is warming up, you are sure to find many open windows in France — all day long and at night too. Being able to keep windows open is certain to put a French woman in a good mood. But whether French or not, leaving in France or not, opening the windows of our home every day is a universal simple pleasure that we all can enjoy.
Opening windows is not just a Spring and Summer joy, it is a year round pleasure. At Art of the Home, we open windows even in the winter when it’s cold or in a hot summer day when the air conditioning is running. We only do it for about 10 minutes (or less depending on how cold it is) but it makes a big difference. You may want to use a timer and do it during your morning or evening routine as part of a task you do everyday (while making meals, doing the dishes, or taking a shower for example). This will ensure you don’t live with your windows open when it’s below zero outside! When it’s warm however, no timer needed, windows can stay open as long as you wish.
Below are 5 of the many benefits opening windows can offer. Consider this…
- Natural house cooling: while your cooking, open your kitchen windows — especially on warm days, it will cool off the house. Now, be ready if your neighbors show up for dinner after smelling the nice aroma of your home cooking!
- Mildew prevention: before you step in the shower, open the window — it will reduce humidity which is conducive to mold.
- Natural air freshener: to get rid of unpleasant odors in the bathroom, opening the window can do the trick.
- Better indoor air quality: opening windows is especially important in the winter when we all share “love bugs”. Also, if you use a fireplace, dust from the ashes inevitably gets into the air so by opening the windows, even just a little bit, you are airing out your home and bringing fresh air inside.
- Listening to nature’s Music: you can hear the birds better!
There is nothing like the clean feeling of fresh air, it’s good for our health, it’s good for our spirit, and it’s free so enjoy!