Today, we’re featuring a simple recipe to serve as an appetizer for a holiday buffet or your next get together. In France, it can be served to accompany a traditional apéritif. Check our detailed recipe and Art of the Home suggestions below. Enjoy and bon appétit!!!
INGREDIENTS (for 16 small croissants)
- 1 sheet of thawed puff pastry (e.g. Trader Joe’s or Pepperidge Farm)
- Smoke salmon slices (e.g. wild sockeye salmon)
- Goat cheese
- Egg yolk
- Defrost puff pastry. When the pastry is defrosted and you’re ready to fill the croissants, pre-heat oven to 390F.
- Lay puff pastry sheet on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Slice puff pastry sheet in 4 squares (with a pizza cutter for example but a knife would do fine too). On each square cut 2 diagonal lines to obtain 4 triangles in each square. In the end you will get 16 small triangles.
- Spread a little bit of goat cheese on each triangle and place a small piece of smoked salmon in the middle of the triangle.
- Roll the triangle from the long side towards the point of the triangle. Arrange in the shape of a croissant.
- In a small cup, mix the egg yolk with about 1 TBSP of water. With a food brush, spread the egg yolk mixture on each croissant (it will give them that rich golden color when they are done)
- In your preheated oven, place the cookie sheet in the center rack and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the croissants are golden brown.
- Remove the salmon croissants from cooking sheet and let cool for about 5 minutes before serving..
A FEW SUGGESTIONS
- Variation on pigs in a blanket — put small sausages instead of the salmon. This is sure to be a hit with the little ones!
- Cheese — you can use various cheeses to spread, a Boursin with or without the salmon or a Roquefort alone are great alternatives or can be served with your salmon croissants to add variety to your buffet platter.
- Appetizer for dinner — serve four of those croissants (six if you’re really hungry) with a lettuce and dinner is ready!
- Decoration — decorate your serving platter with extra smoked salmon rolled up, spread parsley stems or other herbs that you may have on hand. A few slices of lemon add nice color too.