Today we are offering a review of muddlers. The OXO muddler is part of Art of the Home set of kitchen tools and a big help in making our flavorful Art of the Home amber Mojitos. Check our Art of Home muddler review below for tips on how to choose a muddler.
Why do I need a muddler?
Muddlers are an excellent kitchen tool to extract juices from fruits and oils from herbs such as mint. A muddler is helpful in making flavorful Mojitos, Caipirinhas and other cotckails. A muddler can also be used for making guacamole or bruschetta so it can have many lives — in the bar and in the kitchen!
What should I be looking for in a muddler?
- Functionality: a muddler should be long enough for tall glasses (I even use mine with pitchers). It also should have teeth like indentations at the bottom so the muddler can have a good grip on the fruits/herbs as well as space to let the juices and oil flow out as you are muddling.
- Convenience: a muddler should be dishwasher safe.
- Price: less than $20 and if possible — in the $10 range.
How do I use a muddler?
Using a muddler is very simple. Simply grab the handle and gently rotate it as you are pressing down in the glass to “muddle” or crush fruits and herbs (mint).
Art of the Home Favorite Muddler – OXO Muddler
No doubt, wood muddlers are beautiful but we opted for the OXO muddler. Here is the Art of the Home review and ratings (0=poor, 5=excellent):
OXO Muddler Rating: 5/5
- Lenght: 9 inch handle, perfect for tall glasses. Many of the other muddlers we reviewed had a shorter handle and that was deal breaker for us since we wanted to work with pitchers as well. This may be less of a priority if you intend to use your muddler for short glasses only.
- Bottom head: it has a nylon head so it won’t scratch your glasses. Also notice the teeth-like indentation at the bottom, this allows the juices to squeeze out when you muddle . I also noticed that it helps to dissolve any sugar that may be apart of your concoction.
- Grip: as with most OXO products, this muddler is very easy to grab and handle. It also has a rounded handle end which is very comfortable to use when you push down on it to muddle. Finally, the nonslip handle comes in handy when you have wet hands!
- Convenience: dishwasher safe but very easy to hand wash as well.
- Price: very reasonable at Amazon (free shipping with Amazon Prime).
Cons: none so far.
So to get more flavor out of your fruits and herbs, Art of the Home recommends the well designed and reasonably priced OXO muddler.