Today, we’re featuring a classic French side dish — the gratin Dauphinois. The gratin Dauphinois is a hearty rustic side dish. This dish comes from the Dauphiné, an old Southeastern region of France (now made of the French departments of Isère, Drôme, and Hautes-Alpes). People living in this region are called Dauphinois — hence the name gratin Dauphinois. The main city from the Dauphiné region is Grenoble (Isère) and although this dish is traditional of the Dauphiné, it is enjoyed all over France. So check our detailed Art of the Home recipe and Art of the Home suggestions below. For reference, we also added any cookware or utensils used currently available at the boutique. Enjoy and bon appétit!
Gratin Dauphinois (Gratin of Potatoes)
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings)
- About 2 lbs of potatoes
- 1.5 cups of milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2-3 turns of pepper mill
- Parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Peel and wash potatoes. Cut in thin slices and pat dry.
- Rub bottom of oven proof casserole dish with a couple of crushed garlic cloves.
- Arrange potatoes on your baking dish. Mix milk, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Pour mixture over potatoes.
- Bake for 1.5 hours. The potatoes will be golden brown and simply melt in your mouth!
A FEW SUGGESTIONS:
- Cheese: there is an ongoing debate in France as to whether it is acceptable to add cheese to a grating Dauphinois. But if you love cheese, feel free to sprinkle shredded gruyère on top of the potatoes, it is delicious!
- Meal idea: you can serve your gratin Dauphinois with lamb (roasted leg of lamb or grilled lamb chops), it is a great combination. A gratin Dauphinois also pairs well with a pork roast.
- Vegetarian: in the old days, a gratin Dauphinois was a satisfying and hearty supper. During the week, consider a meatless dinner by serving your gratin Dauphinois with a green salad.
- Parsley: after taking your gratin out of the oven, feel free to sprinkle some chopped parsley — it will add color and it’s good for digestion too!