Macerated strawberries in wine (fraises au vin) is an old fashion French dessert served by pairing flavorful strawberries and a fruity red wine. All you need are strawberries, wine, sugar, and good company to enjoy this deliciously simple dessert. Check our detailed macerated strawberries in wine recipe from our desserts with strawberries collection as well as Art of the Home suggestions below. Enjoy and bon appétit!
Desserts with Strawberries
Easy Desserts with Strawberries
Macerated Strawberries in Wine (Fraises au Vin)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- 1 lb of strawberries
- 2 cups of red wine (preferably fruity but can be done with a good red table wine also)
- 4-8 tsp of sugar or the equivalent 1-2 tsp per serving (increase the quantity based on how sweet you want your dessert to be)
- Wash and hull strawberries. Cut them in half lengthwise and put them in a medium bowl.
- Cover strawberries with sugar and gently toss so all strawberries are covered with sugar. This will help release their juices.
- Add red wine. Gently toss and macerate at room temperature covered for about 1 hour.
- Put equal amount of strawberries in 4 dessert bowls or pretty glasses. Using a small ladle, partially cover fruits with the wine (to get the most flavor, after removing the fruits, make sure you mix the wine before pouring it into the dessert bowls).
Art of the Home Suggestion:
- Decoration: put some fresh mint leaves in the middle of your “fraises au vin.”
- Serve with butter shortbread, homemade or our store bought favorite “Walkers pure butter short bread fingers“– si bon!