Using Timbale Molds: Sauteed Scallops with Timbale of Rice and Timbale of Julienne Vegetables
A decorating technique used in French restaurant to dress up a plate is to use timbale molds to shape side dishes on individual plates. A side dish of rice is so much more appetizing when it is served as a “timbale de riz” (rice timbale). And who would not want to eat their veggies when they are served as a “timbale de julienne de légumes” (julienne vegetables timbale) – sounds so delicious! Another great advantage of serving side dishes using timbale molds is portion control — a key part of the French diet. If you don’t own timbale molds that’s not a problem because the odds are that looking around your kitchen you may already have all you need to dress up your plates and keep portions under control. Check below for 4 ways to give a new life to some of your kitchen accessories and bring a French touch to your table even on a weekday! Enjoy and bon appétit!
4 Timbale Molds Already in Your Kitchen
Art of the Home 4 Handy Timbale Molds
- Ramekins: used typically to make crème brûlée or other baked desserts, a ramekin can also be used as a timbale mold to serve a 1/2 cup timbale of vegetables or gratin Dauphinois.
- Measuring cups: in the above picture, using a 1 cup measuring cup, we presented the rice and julienne vegetables in a timbale next to sauteed scallops. A small dot of butter on top of the rice melted to the center — delicious and a big success.
- A small can with top and bottom removed: the size of the can can vary depending on the quantity you want to serve.
- Coffee cup: if you have coffee cups of various shapes, you can serve your side dishes in timbales of various sizes — a lovely touch. And if you really want to go for mini portions or serve a medley of side dishes, you can even use espresso cups.
How to Use Timbale Molds to Serve Side Dishes
- Prepare your side dish following your recipe.
- With a dessert spoon, fill up the timbale molds with the side dish. Gently press downwards. This will compress the side dish and help it hold its shape.
- Invert timbale mold onto individual plates and serve.