Today, we’re featuring a delicious classic French dessert — the gâteau fondant au chocolat (chocolate fondant cake). This chocolate cake is so delicious, it melts in your mouth! It is very versatile — it can be served at a children’s birthday party or dressed up to conclude a fabulous five-course dinner. Art of the Home chocolate fondant cake is easy to make and is baked in only 20 minutes. Check out our easy Art of the Home recipe and Art of the Home suggestions below. Enjoy and bon appétit!
Gâteau Fondant au Chocolat (Chocolate Fondant Cake)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 6-8 servings)
- 7 ounces (about 200 g) of baking chocolate (e.g. dark chocolate — 60% or more cocoa or semi-sweet baking chocolate)
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cups of soft butter
- 2 TBSP of flour
- Optional: 1 TBSP of amber rum or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Butter and flour cake pan (we used a 10 inch nonstick springform pan).
- Break the chocolate into even pieces. You’ll need to put your chocolate pieces in a heat-proof bowl (or a small saucepan) and place it on top of a larger saucepan filled with hot water. Melt chocolate in a “bain marie” (water bath).
- Add soft butter to the bain marie and mix in with chocolate.
- Remove from bain marie and add the sugar and sifted flour (using a mesh strainer is fine).
- Add in egg yolks one at a time (keep egg whites a separate mixing bowl).
- Add rum or vanilla extract (optional).
- Beat egg whites (add a pinch of salt beforehand, it helps the process).
- Carefully fold in about a third of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate/butter/egg yolk/sugar/flour mixture. Repeat with another third and then the last third. Make sure to get the chocolate from the bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Pour in cake pan.
- Bake 20 minutes in a preheated oven (350 °F).
- Gently detach the sides of cake with a knife and remove walls of springform pan.
- Serve warm or cold.
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Flavor: you can enjoy your chocolate fondant cake “au naturel” by skipping step 7 above. Adding vanilla extract is always a big hit for a children’s birthday party. And for a special holiday or gathering, make it festive and add rum instead.
- Decoration: sprinkling confectioners’ sugar (thru a mesh strainer for example) will add an elegant touch to your chocolate fondant cake. You can also add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a spoon of crème Chantilly (Chantilly cream).
- Precaution on melting chocolate: chocolate burns easily so make sure to check our Art of the Home tips on how to melt chocolate in a bain marie.