Today, we are sharing pictures of 5 traditional French market baskets used by French women to shop at the farmers market. We took them the other day at our local market, what a pleasure to see this dance of market baskets! If you are looking for style ideas, simply go to a French farmers market and you will be amazed by the selection – larger than in any catalog you can find! They come in all shapes, sizes and colors. It’s also interesting to see the different ways women choose to hold it – everybody has their own personality. So today, we are focusing on the old-fashion types of French market baskets but this is just the beginning of our love story with market baskets so there is more to come!
At the Farmers Market: 5 Traditional French Market Baskets
So check the 5 baskets below and cast your vote to let us know which one is your favorite: 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 (as hard as it may be, you have to pick just one, sorry!). So let’s begin:
- French market basket #1: # 1 has leather straps and leather trim. Love this French lady’s bracelet!
- French market basket # 2: #2 has leather straps only and is the most common basket seen at the farmers market. This is the old-fashion French soft market basket — just short leather straps for a snug fit.
- French market basket #3: # 3 is larger than the old-fashion basket and has a flat bottom which allows you to set your basket on the ground — an advantage when you need both hands to check out fruits and vegetables. We saw a lot of #3 as well.
- French market basket #4: #4 has leather straps all around which makes it more durable.
- French market basket #5: #5 has long straps and is a bit more fashionable. In fact, you can see French women using these types of baskets at the beach to carry towels, sunscreen, magazine, etc. For more use of your market baskets, check our article “4 Ideas to Use A French Market Basket Year-Round.” Love those lovely flowers in the background.
So cast your vote on which French market basket is your favorite. We’ll compile the results and feature the Art of the Home readers favorite traditional french market basket. Just leave us your favorite basket number in the comment section: #1, #2, #3, #4 or #5!