Our soupe du jour is a winter root soup — we are serving a turnip and potato soup (potage de navets-pommes de terre). This root soup has a feel of winter and with its white coat is very appetizing. It is simple enough to serve during the week but has its place in a weekend meal as well, especially if you decorate it with chives and serve it on a rustic soup bowl with croutons – delicious and pretty! Our turnip and potato soup is typically not part of our weekly repertoire (we mostly have vegetable soup or leek soup during the week) but we always enjoy it when we make it. This soup is loaded with the nutrients of root vegetables and has no fat at all so if you are on a fat restricted diet, this soup can add variety to your soup selection.
Soupe du Jour: Turnip and Potato Soup
Winter Root Soup: Turnip and Potato Soup Recipe
All you need for this root soup are turnips and potatoes. You can add broth (chicken, beef, vegetable) but you can also simply add water (in this case add a few pinches of salt though). Turnips have a distinct flavor that holds its own. So check our detailed turnip and potato soup recipe and Art of the Home suggestions below. Enjoy and bon appétit!
Turnip & Potato Soup (Potage de Navets-pommes de terre)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- 6 turnips (about 1 lb)
- 3 Russet potatoes (about 1 lb)
- Broth or water (about 2 liters/8 cups)
- A few sprigs of chives
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Peel turnips and potatoes, wash and cut in small chunks.
- Place turnips and potatoes in a large pot. Cover with broth or water (when using just water add 2-3 pinches of salt).
- Bring to a boil and lower heat. Simmer 3/4 covered for about 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and start pureeing your soup using an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add salt & pepper to taste and stir.
- Snip some chives on top of your soup bowl for decoration but also to add a nice bite to your soup. Enjoy!
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Bacon lovers: bacon goes great with this soup. Make it a hearty supper by adding some cut slices of cooked thick bacon. You can also add leftover pork roast meat.
- Texture: add water if you like your soup more liquid or if you like it thicker simply peel another potato.
- Warning: turnips can make you a bit gassy so having it no more than once a week is enough and opt for our vegetable soup if you feel bloated. Although really delicious, this turnip and potato soup will not help you in this situation.