You say tabouli, I say tabouleh, or simply taboule (taboulé) — there are so many variations of the taboule recipe. The spelling will typically give you a clue as to where the recipe comes from. A middle-eastern taboule recipe (lebanese Tabouleh for example) will be prepared with bulgur whereas in a North African taboule recipe (e.g. Maroco, Algeria) will use couscous. In France, French cafe menus often features “taboulé” using couscous. Whether you use bulgur or couscous, the key is to use fresh herbs and vegetables. Check the refreshing Art of the Home taboule recipe below — always a big hit at picnics or summer barbecues. Keep in mind that this taboulé has to be prepared the day before to achieve its full flavor, so plan to have all ingredients handy the day before you want to serve.
Taboule Recipe (Recette du Taboulé)
Taboule Recipe (Taboulé)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (about 4-6 servings)
2 cups of couscous
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 cucumber
- 2 onions
- 3 lemons
- 4 TBSP of olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A few pinches of Couscous spice or other Mediterranean spices.
- 6-8 fresh mint leaves.
- 1/4 cup of raisins (optional)
- In a large bowl, pour the juice of 3 lemons and mix in with 4 TBSP of olive oil.
- Chop tomatoes and peppers in very small pieces. Add to serving bowl.
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and slice it in thin slices.
- Mince 2 oinions, add to bowl and mix everything together.
- Spread couscous on top of the mixture and mix gently. Cover with a plastic film and refrigerate overnight. This will allow the couscous to inflate and slowly absorb the juices and aromas. If possible toss from time to time.
- Taste and add olive oil if the taboule seems too dry. Add salt, pepper, and Mediterranean spices to taste. Add a few leaves of fresh mint. Toss.
- Refrigerate before serving.
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- For more fiber, use whole wheat couscous.
- Serving couscous as a main entree: add sliced leftover chicken, lamb or beef.
- Raisins: if you would like to add raisins, let them soak in warm water while preparing the other veggies. Add them in Step. 4 after drying them thoroughly.
From the Art of the Home Recipe Box: Taboule Recipe