Today we are offering a review of hammocks. At Art of the Home, our hammock comes out as soon as snow is done and goes back to storage when the first snow flakes hit the ground. It has so many purposes and we use it three seasons out of four. Over the years, we tested a few hammocks and our favorite is the Presidential Edition of the Original Pawleys Island Cotton Rope Hammocks. The cotton feel is so comfortable, the rustic look fits our country style backyard and the oversize presidential edition offers enough space for precious family moments — if only those ropes could talk! Check our Art of the Home hammock review below for tips on how to choose a hammock.
Why do I need a hammock ?
A hammock is a great place to relax outdoor and it offers a special spot for many different activities. It can be a reading corner, a discussion space, a comfortable spot for afternoon naps, or whatever you want it to be. And this month especially, a hammock could bring such happiness to the “papa” in your home! Indeed, a hammock makes a wonderful father’s day gift — in fact that’s how we got ours! We purchased it as a father’s day gift and we are all enjoying it now. Fathers can use their hammock for a well deserved nap after mowing the lawn, some bounding moments with sons and daughters, or some special quite time with the woman of their life.
How do I use a hammock?
That’s easy — lay down, kick back and enjoy!
What should I be looking for in a hammock?
- Comfort: softness is very important. Rope hammocks come in three different types: cotton, polyester or DuraCord. Cotton, an organic fiber, is the softest. Polyester and DuraCord ropes are synthetics so are less soft as a result but the DuraCord comes close.
- Ease of installation: you don’t want to have to call the handyman to set up your hammock so look for one with easy installation. Once it’s set up, you also want to be able to take it down easily for winter storage.
- Size: larger is better, a larger hammock is more versatile so it will get greater use.
- Durability: this is an investment so you want a high quality hammock that will sustain many years of use.
- Price: less than $200. Over 20 years that’s only $10 a year!
Art of the Home’s Favorite Hammock – The Original Pawleys Island 15OC Cotton Rope Hammock Presidential Edition
We love our oversized Pawleys Island cotton rope hammock. Family and friends use it for reading, napping, sharing or simply relaxing! It is hung next to our picnic table so it also doubles as a seating swing. Here is the Art of the Home review and ratings (0=poor, 5=excellent):
Original Pawleys Island Hammock Presidential Edition: 5/5
- Comfort: we love the feel of the rope made of cotton yarn — so soft. The presidential Pawleys Island hammock is made of 100% 3-ply cotton rope. The open weave is also great on hot days, it provides cooling air flow so you stay cool. The rustic look of the natural off-white rope adds a nice country feel to an outdoor space. Greater care is required for a cotton rope but as long as you store it in the winter in a dry place, it should be just fine — we have had no problems.
- Quality Crafstmanship: Pawleys Island hammocks have been handcrafted since 1889 — they’ve add lots of practice and that crafstmanship experience shows. The woven bed is contructed using over 1,000 feet of rope and has hand-tied bowline knots that tighten with use keeping your hammock from sagging. The spreader bars are designed to enhance the gentle swaying motion of the hammock. The bars are constructed of solid oak and are coated with marine spar varnish to increase longevity. The hardware is rust resistant.
- Size: the presidential hammock is the largest rope hammock we’ve seen on the market. It is tested for up to 450 pounds and can comfortably fit 2 adults, 1 adult and 2 children (even teenagers — nice spot for sharing) or 3-4 children. It is 10 inches wider than the Pawleys Island large rope hammock. It is of course also perfect for just one adult — you feel like you are on a fluffy cloud! Its extra large size was one of the key feature that made us purchase it.
- Convenience: this hammock is set up in less than 5 minutes. We did purchase the hammock Pawleys Island tree straps because we did not want to insert the hook in the apple and maple trees where the hammock is hanging from, but even without the straps, it should not take very long. This hammock is a breeze to install and put back up after winter.
- Price: the upfront cost seems high but consider that if you average the price over the years you will be enjoying your hammock, the annual cost is less than $10/year — well worth the investment for so many seasons of joy! Overall, the price is reasonable and it ships for free at Amazon.
Cons: none so far.
So to enjoy cooling relaxing afternoons in your backyard by yourself or with your loved ones, Art of the Home recommends the high quality, comfortable and reasonably priced Original Pawleys Island 15OC Cotton Rope Hammock Presidential Edition.