Today, we’re featuring a simple recipe to serve as an appetizer for a holiday buffet or your next get together. In France, it can be served to accompany a traditional apéritif. Check our detailed recipe and Art of the Home suggestions below. Enjoy and bon appétit!!!
Salmon Croissants (Feuilleté de Saumon)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 16 small croissants)
- 1 sheet of thawed puff pastry (e.g. Trader Joe’s or Pepperidge Farm)
- Smoke salmon slices (e.g. wild sockeye salmon)
- Goat cheese
- Egg yolk
- Defrost puff pastry. When the pastry is defrosted and you’re ready to fill the croissants, pre-heat oven to 390F.
- Lay puff pastry sheet on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Slice puff pastry sheet in 4 squares (with a pizza cutter for example but a knife would do fine too). On each square cut 2 diagonal lines to obtain 4 triangles in each square. In the end you will get 16 small triangles.
- Spread a little bit of goat cheese on each triangle and place a small piece of smoked salmon in the middle of the triangle.
- Roll the triangle from the long side towards the point of the triangle. Arrange in the shape of a croissant.
- In a small cup, mix the egg yolk with about 1 TBSP of water. With a food brush, spread the egg yolk mixture on each croissant (it will give them that rich golden color when they are done)
- In your preheated oven, place the cookie sheet in the center rack and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the croissants are golden brown.
- Remove the salmon croissants from cooking sheet and let cool for about 5 minutes before serving..
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Variation on pigs in a blanket — put small sausages instead of the salmon. This is sure to be a hit with the little ones!
- Cheese — you can use various cheeses to spread, a Boursin with or without the salmon or a Roquefort alone are great alternatives or can be served with your salmon croissants to add variety to your buffet platter.
- Appetizer for dinner — serve four of those croissants (six if you’re really hungry) with a lettuce and dinner is ready!
- Decoration — decorate your serving platter with extra smoked salmon rolled up, spread parsley stems or other herbs that you may have on hand. A few slices of lemon add nice color too.