How about a 3 steps delicious low calorie side dish for dinner — a French classic braised carrots side dish? Check our detailed recipe and Art of the Home suggestions below. Enjoy and bon appétit!!!
Braised Carrots (Carottes à l’étuvée)
by Art of the Home
Ingredients (for 4 servings)
- About 12 carrots (count 3 carrots per serving for a satisfying side dish)
- About 1.5-2 cups of water (or enough to barely cover the carrots)
- About 1-2 TBSP of butter
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 3 Pinches of salt & 1 pinch of pepper (less salt needed if you use salted butter)
1. Peel carrots and cut in small rounds
2. In a saucepan or cast iron pot (Le Creuset for example), add the carrots and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. After about 5-10 min, add sugar, butter, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally to ensure the carrots don’t stick to the bottom.
4. Simmer covered, stirring from time to time, under low to medium heat for about 30 minutes (or until carrots are tender). Heat should be high enough to maintain a gentle boil.
5. Taste to check for proper seasoning. Add salt and/or pepper if needed.
Art of the Home Suggestions:
- Make it ahead of time — This is a great dish to prepare ahead. It freezes well too. So you can double the recipe and freeze half and have this side dish available for dinner a few weeks later.
- Meat suggestions — This dish goes well with any meat but it is especially a good combination with a pork roast. And for a quick weekday meal, serve it with a couple of rolled up slices of ham, very easy.
- Herbs — Feel free to sprinkle some chopped parsley to add some color.
- Leftovers — Reheat with heavy cream or crème fraîche and you just created a new dish, “Carottes à la Crème” (Carrots in Cream).