How to Make a Tomato Rose Garnish?
A vegetable decoration such as a tomato rose can add a festive and elegant touch to a plate or serving platter. Tomato roses are easy to make and can give a flower touch to any culinary presentation in a flash.
Check Art of the Home tips below for the steps to carve a tomato into a lovely rose — so easy and so pretty!
Art of the Home Tip to Make a Tomato Rose Garnish
- The first step to carving a tomato rose garnish is to select a firm tomato and have a sharp knife (paring knife type or smaller size cutting knife).
- Insert knife next to stem and remove by carving a circle around the stem.
- Turn tomato on the other side (opposite the stem side). Insert knife and start peeling the tomato into a continuous stripe (about 1 inch thick). Turn the tomato as you are peeling it towards the knife blade to make it easier.
- Lay the long stripe of tomato peel on the working surface (shiny side down), roll it up…and voilà, your tomato rose is ready to decorate any plate!
Art of the Home suggestion:
- Elegant touch: depending on what you are serving give your tomato rose some company by adding some herbs — spike a small sprig of rosemary in the center or lay it on a bed of basil leaves.